What Type of Exercises Do We Need?
According to the American College of Sports Medicine we all need several types of exercise.
1. Cardio exercise for our heart
2. Strengthening exercise for our muscles
3. Stretching exercises for flexibility
4. Neuromotor exercises for balance and coordination
How Important is Exercise?
Exercise is a necessary daily nutrient that each human being requires every day. Some of the benefits of daily exercise are:
1. Weight control
2. Lowering serious disease risks like cancer, heart disease, stroke and diabetes
3. Improving mood and brain function
4. Boosting energy levels and improving sleep habits
5. Putting spark back into your sex life
6. Improvement of your immune and lymphatic system
How Much Exercise is Enough?
Experts agree that we need a minimum of 150 minutes (30 min/5 days) of cardiovascular exercise a week such as walking or running and a minimum of 2-3 sessions of resistance strength training such as weight lifting or yoga.
Why Walking Is a Great Cardio Exercise
Walking offers the great advantage of requiring no skill or practice. Everyone knows how to do it, and the only equipment you need is a good pair of shoes. You can walk outdoors or indoors (in shopping malls, for example). It is probably the safest option of all, with the least chance of injury.
The main problem with walking as a principal aerobic activity is that you can easily fail to do it strenuously enough to get the conditioning benefits of exercise. Aerobic walking cannot be casual or intermittent, and it takes a little more time than the other options. You should be able to walk about three miles in forty-five minutes. Let’s walk this week… and do it with a friend.