“Blue Zone” Longevity

There are five acknowledged “blue zones” around the world, and at first glance each one appears vastly different from the next. They are:

  1. Okinawa, Japan
  2. Sardinia, Italy
  3. Loma Linda, California
  4. Nicoya Peninsula, Costa Rica
  5. Ikaros, Greece

blue-zoneAlthough all are located in far-off corners of the world, members in each location’s population have a higher chance of reaching a healthy age of 90 than anywhere else on Earth. They also have higher percentages of centenarians, or people who’ve reached the age of 100. 

What Are The Secrets To Their Longevity?

Scientists also theorize that less than 25 percent of how long we live is actually determined by our genes; the remaining 75 percent or so depends on our lifestyle choices. Here are nine of the lifestyle habits that these peoples have in common:

  1. Move Naturally
  2. Cut calories
  3. Avoid meat and precessed foods
  4. Drink alcohol, especially red wine, in moderation
  5. Maintain a positive outlook on life
  6. Reduce stress
  7. Belong to a community
  8. Keep family first
  9. Surround yourself with people who have similar blue zone values

What Can I Do To Enjoy This “Blue Zone” Longevity?

Do I have to move to Japan, Okinawa, Costa Rica or Greece to enjoy and long and healthy life? No. In Loma Linda, Calif., the only blue zone in the United States, there’s a large population of Seventh-day Adventists who have developed a close community and keep strict diets, even though they live right outside the densely populated, smoggy city of Los Angeles. Use the Blue Zone inhabitants as examples of how to live.

Create your own blue zone within the boundaries of your own home or community. As an example, walk or bicycle instead of driving if you can. Eat properly. Eat less meat. Get daily exercise. Grow your own fruits and vegetables. Get adjusted. Maintain a close contact with family and friends. Develop a daily spiritual practice. Remember, the main factor in the equation of how long and healthy you live is how you choose to live your life.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s