Did you know that according to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, every 5 seconds a worker is injured in the U.S.? Recently, the National Safety Council estimated that on-the-job injuries cost Americans $121 billion in societal expenses. Yikes! Some of these include lost wages, lost productivity, health care costs, and many other expenses.
Over the years, I have treated hundreds of work related injuries at our chiropractic office. Frankly, I feel that workplace injuries are far too common and many times can be avoided if that patient had been armed with the right information. Thus, I’ve written this article. The bottom line is that most workplace injuries are preventable. Here then is my list of the top 5 tips to help you stay injury free while at work:
- Sit properly! While working at your desk or computer, make sure that you sit with your knees at about a 90 to 130 degree angle. Sitting with more or less of an angle can cause strain on your back, which leads to lower back pain and/or sciatica.
- Always lift properly! Bend at the knees and use your hips when lifting. Try to keep your back straight and the weight balanced and close to your body.
- Exercise! Yeah, yeah, some tip, right? Well believe it or not numerous studies show that exercise (even as simple as walking) can dramatically reduce on the job injuries, because it prepares your body to resist injury.
- Stretch frequently! Take frequent stretch breaks. If you sit at your computer all day, make sure to stretch 3 times a day. If you stand all day, taking the load off can also help prevent injury.
- Get adequate sleep! Fatigue greatly increases the risk of injury. So get sleeping…
Doing anything repetitively can lead to injury. So the ‘common sense rule’ always applies. With a little bit of effort, we can greatly reduce the number of work related injuries. If you’ve been injured on the job and/or would like to ask me a work related injury question, please just ask or call… we’re here to help!