Last month we talked about the effects of poor posture – and we had many requests from our working mom’s who wanted to know some tips to getting through their day with good posture even when you have three kids pulling at your leg, you’re talking on the phone AND trying to make dinner… all at the same time! Well I’m always up for a good challenge. There’s no denying that today’s Mom is more akin to a Super Hero in the sheer number of demands on her time. So I decided to compile a list of immediately useful health tips that EVERY busy mother could use, that would improve their posture and reduce the chances of relapsing their back or neck injury:* (*source: ACA, Posture Pitfalls of Mom’s article)
6 healthy back tips for Mom’s!
- The very first thing you should do upon waking is to stretch! Stand up and stretch your arms above your head. Do the “hug your best friend.” Wrap your arms around your body, and turn as far as you can to the left, then to the right.
- Focus on Posture! Even performing everyday tasks like applying makeup, remember your posture. Do not hunch over the sink – stand up straight.
- Use the Legs to Lift your Child! Don’t bend from the waist when lifting your child. Squat with your back straight. Keep the child close to you and use your arms and legs to lift.
- Don’t Cradle the Phone! Either hold the phone or use speaker phone. Cradling the phone can cause beck, shoulder and back pain.
- Warning – Crossing Your Legs! Do not consistently cross the same knee over the other. This habit can eventually cause misalignment of the spine.
- Bed Time – for You! It is important to get a good night’s rest.
And the other important tip… is a life of wellness which starts with chiropractic care and a focus on a healthy lifestyle. If you’d like to talk to me about chiropractic and YOUR posture related symptoms, or pain that has shown up again due to an active lifestyle, please just ask or call…(309) 692-6800, we’re here to help!